Re: skill vs. rules

To: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>,
Subject: Re: skill vs. rules
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:14:35 -0500
> Our rules are still very broad, contrary to what some would think,
> and the skills of each entrant are evident in each vehicle. One of
> the draws of SLUR is that an entrant can say " I designed it, I
> built it and I drove it". Where else do you get that satisfaction?
> One of the most difficult jobs of the inspection people is turning
> down a vehicle and telling the entrant to go fix it before being
> allowed to race. The guy did the best he could and it still wasn't
> satisfactory to pass the minimum requirements. But, turning a
> vehicle away is the best insurance we can give you that there will
> still be a place to race in the future.
> DW

Well put Dan, thank you. I plan on racing there soon and can't imagine how
anyone would feel if a safety infraction were to shut the course down(even if
it were temporary). First thing someone is going to ask is.. why didn't tech
catch that? And sad thing is it will probably come from a racer that has had
deficiencies in tech inspection previously and thought it was unjust. I see
safety prep being up to the builder first and foremost, the rules being there
to guide the builder and the tech's being there to make sure the builder
understands(or follows) the rules. If someone doesn't have the skills or
understanding to comply, they should be thanking tech for catching their
deficiencies.
Todd-