Re: Piston Slap ? Non LSR

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piston Slap ? Non LSR
From: Jon Wennerberg <jonw@up.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:48:02 -0500
About 78,000 miles on my '02 GMC w/5.3 Vortec.  Yup, there's a tad bit
of noise that could well be what you're hearing, but it goes away
within a few seconds.  I've changed the oil religiously every 8-10,000
miles, consume less than 1/2 quart/oil change, and let the motor warm
up at least 5-10 seconds before driving -- enough to make sure the oil
pressure gauge is working.  I've not been bothered about the noise --
it's only there when overnight cold, and goes away after that 5-10 sec.
warmup.  Therefore I'd concur with the "that's standard" comments.

But -- here's the important part of the message for everyone not from
'way up north:  You'll have far less window scraping to do - both
inside and outside -- if you leave at least one window in the vehicle
open when you shut off.  Leave it cracked open only a 1/4" or so,
that's enough for this to work.

After driving during wintery conditions you'll commonly have a carful
of warm and HUMID air - from the heater melting the snow off your
boots, from you breathing, and even from your steamy coffee cup.  Upon
shutdown the windows will cool off relatively quickly, and that nice
moist air will condense on them on the inside, making for scraping of
the inside surface -- or waiting for the defroster to do its' job.
Leaving a window open cools things down more quickly, and also lets the
warm and MOIST air circulate to outdoors where it can condense on the
trees or whatever.

And leaving that window open will cool the outside of the windows
faster, too, so the snow falling on them won't melt so much on the
surface -- once again making for quick and easy cleaning (lots less
work to brush off snow than to scrape off ice).

Yeah, sure, this won't do much to prevent frost from forming on the
window when conditions are just so -- this is best for snow and ice.
And yes, there's the chance that you'll get a snowdrift on the inside
of your car from snow blowing through that open window - even when it's
open only a tiny little bit.  But the snow will brush off the seat
easily - lots more easily than the work you'd have to do to scrape the
windows.

Yooper lore to the rescue here.

Jon, in Marquette, where this morning's paper reported 74.4" of snow so
far this season.
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing

PS "COLD" morning isn't 50 degrees, unless you mean -50!  + 50 is
t-shirt weather...