Spoiling For Some Added Downforce

To: saltrat@pro-blend.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Spoiling For Some Added Downforce
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:50:18 EST
    Hi Skip .... the spoiler ( actually a WING ) that Doug built for Black
Radon
was approx the same width as the trunk lid and was mounted by a whole bunch
of stainless Allen head machine screws on the flanges of the four vertical
front-to-rear end, and in between, plates that sat on the trunk surface . I
do
remember it was a royal pain in the a - -  to get on all the elastic stop
nuts
inside the hole-sawed openings on the inside trunk bracing ....... taping the
nuts and inside washers on the wrenches in places where a socket wouldn't
go, etc. ..... nice of the boys to assign me that job !  The all aluminum
wing
was set at about an 18 or 20 * angle ( last minute eyeball engineering ) to
the horizontal and it extended out over the rear body panel by about 16 inches
or
so ..... It looked great on the rear, but just the other evening Doug was
here
and we discussed it, and he said he wasn't too sure at all of how helpful it
was considering it also adds drag,  and that  he thinks more ballast in the
right
places might be a better way to go. We know the funnycars have proven the
merit of running those big spoilers, but their main concern is maxi-traction
for lowest ETs, not top speed or the drag the spoiler brings to the picture.
      I think if the wing was mounted higher in the undisturbed airstream the
benefits would be greatly enhanced, but its' location in the area immediately
above the trunk lid greatly reduces its value to greater traction ......
altered
coupes are a different breed of cat than open wheel lakesters !
        Darrell told me on my August visit to him last year that he intends
bring more horsepower to the Salt for this year's Speedweek, so the problem
of getting hooked up isn't gonna get any easier.  We still have time to ponder
the vagaries of this and which way to go........ and in the final analysis,
the proof of the pudding is usually in the eating, right ?
       How about filling us in on what your latest problems, solutions,
and improvements are on the Rose ? Thanks for your query, enjoy your
thrashing on your speedwheels, and always remember ........
       IF YOU DON'T MAKE MISTAKES, YOU'RE NOT WORKING ON
         HARD ENOUGH PROBLEMS. AND THAT'S A BIG MISTAKE.
                                                   ( Frank Wilczek, Particle
Physicist )
      Bruce in Too Durned Cool
              Connecticut at 9* just after sunset