RE: Tools

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tools
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@att.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:44:43 -0500
At 12:08 PM 1/28/04 -0500, you wrote:
>The lathe is a clausing..
>If i was to learn any new machining i would love to learn metal spinning..
>Dave

  Manual Spinning on a Lathe is a real art, I was fortunate to learn a little
of it, from a old model/sample maker in the early 70s, I never got expert at it
but did learn it.

 when I retired,  I left the spinning tools hanging on the wall of
the shop.  going in tomorrow for retirement party for 3 more of
the old gang. Will see if they are still hanging  there. but it really doesn,t
matter
since this will leave only 6 journeyman left in what once was a 54 man shop.
All the work is now being done in India & China now..

 ANYHOW

 Most spinning nowadays is done on a CNC & hydro-spinning machines.

 But it is a real thrill to watch a good spinner at work.
watched the old guy spin stainless into a shape for a new coffee pot
design, back when GE still was producing small appliances
   awesome.

                                   John