Re: Hilborn Butterfly Shaft Torsional Distortion

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hilborn Butterfly Shaft Torsional Distortion
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:54:26 EST
In a message dated 2/21/2004 7:39:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ardunbill@webtv.net writes:

> Paul, that's an interesting question and I don't know the answer.  I
> hope somebody here does.  I can tell you that I have a used 4-71 Hilborn
> injector with 3" throttle bodies here for my blower Ardun, and the 5/16"
> throttle shaft is a little bent.  Could that be from the stress on the
> throttle plates when the driver snaps the throttle shut at full power?
> Bill Hoddinott

    People sometimes put the return springs on one end of the Hilborn
throttle shaft(s) and the actuator arm on the other, causing a twisting force
that
will eventually twist the shaft(s). The ideal setup is to have the actuator arm
and springs attached to the same point of the butterfly shaft(s), with no
additional torsional force bayond that point.
                                Ardun Doug