Water jacket pressure questions

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water jacket pressure questions
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:12:29 -0800
Bill, List
You've brought up a subject that I have opinions about but little first
hand knowledge or experience.
I want to find out how far off Base I am.

I believe the following about HIGH performance water cooled engines.

The water jack pressure should be high to prevent hot spots. The higher
the HP per CID, the higher the pressure should. Some engines need more
than average pressure. Two of them are the Ford flat head and 2 stroke
diesels with a lot of manifold pressure.
A 2.0L 800 HP motor should have at least 50 PSI (80- 100 PSI if the
sealing / gasket system would take it)  water jacket pressure before
even starting the motor.
Restrict ors in place of or in addition to a thermostat will work as
long as the
engine RPM is kept up after the run to keep steam pockets from forming
and blowing all of the 200 degree coolant out. (cool down lap ??)

Remember ALL of the above has come from watching OTHER people
and trying to explain to my self what is really going on.

How much of this is actually correct (if any) and what have I missed
or misinterpreted?

Thanks for the help folks,
Bryan