Re: Alternator Pulley

To: James Tone <gmc6power@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Alternator Pulley
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:22:30 -0800 (PST)
Oh yeah, the exposure to salt thing concerns me.  It's a one wire GM, and will
be mounted just to the left and above the pinion.  The car has a step pan,
which of course, ends just ahead of the pinion location.  That leaves the
alternator tucked well up above the end of the step pan.  I will also put an
aluminum shield, similar to a head shield underneath the alternator to shield
it from salt, but that will not completely seal it off.  I figure there
shouldn't be that much salt right there in the center of the car, especially a
foot above the end of the step pan.  The rear end only has about three inches
of movement, and I may try to enclose the alternator in a box fastened to the
trunk bulkhead, with only a slot for the belt to pass through.  That will be
determined as the pieces come together and if that seems practical or not.

Dick J

James Tone <gmc6power@earthlink.net> wrote:
Since this obviously a race car? I'll give my 2 cents; if its a single wire
my experience with them is they need to be "spiked" by reving up the engine,
in my case to over 4000. This can't be done with a drive shaft mount until
some predetemind drive shaft speed is met(might be 2nd or 3rd gear before it
works). I also ran that Summit called their "circle track" which was much
larger than stock. This slowed the alternater by about 1/2. Worked great
for me since I threw off belts before I changed the pulley. I went to
smaller belt too that helped. A "normal" alternator would not have the
single problem it mentioned. I hope your car has a belly pan too.
Alernators don't like salt. Good Luck JD