Re: Bypass regulator

To: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bypass regulator
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 05:09:21 -0600
The deal is that even thou your fuel pump is capable beyond the limits of
your motors use.. you have pretty substantial swings in pressure based on
use with a dead head regulator....  all of your fuel that is used  is just
sitting there getting packed against the regulator sitting in the fuel line
in a hot engine bay.... hanging out waiting for you to use it... then when
you open up the throttle and dump fuel.... you get an instant pressure
drop... then an increase as the spring in the dead head regulator catches
up.  Additionally if you set the pressure at say 7 psi on a dead head....
once you start using fuel you will find that the flowing fuel pressure is
less then your 7psi...

With a bypassing regulator... the fuel is in constant circulation at a given
pressure... and that pressure doesn't change as a result of usage... up to
the point that the pump can't keep up...

 We ran a BG 400 for main fuel and a BG280 for the nitrous side and all the
bypassing regulators were Barry Grant's as well.  As I recall the cost
wasn't significantly more then the cost of the dead head regulator... The
money spent of Fuel lines is another story...  In the Camaro... BG sponsored
all my fuel system as Dave spec'ed it out... everything to include the
Nitrous systems.... however they didn't give me the $1000 worth of fuel
lines and fittings....

We had a rather exceptional quality fuel pressure sensor for the Data acq.
system and never saw any changes in pressure with this system... no matter
which side we were checking...  that part of the Tune up never changed
unless we adjusted it.... so I know it works both in theory and in practice.

Keith