Re: Stainless Steel Welding Question

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel Welding Question
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:25:32 +0000
No problem with the mig Dick. Unimix(75% argon / 25% carbon dioxide) and mild
steel wire(ER70S). I do it all the time, have been told by some welders it
shouldn't be done, been told it can't be done, have had one guy look at the
weld and after i gave him a hammer to beat the shit out of it to tell me what
he thinks... he called me a liar saying that's not what I welded it with. I
have also been told it's fine to do by other welders. I do stainless exhaust
repairs on harley dressers that get beat on by doing wheelies and regulary
weld stainless to mild steel brackets and such this way. Clean is the game
and it works fine.
My biggest question is, if it's got rust on it.. what makes you think it's
stainless? Might be a low content, which a magnet will tell you and I guess
it could take on light surface rust?.. but either way, if it's a non critical
item... i wouldn't hesitate. I think you'll be suprised at the outcome.
TD