Gear Ratio Formula (Part 2)

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear Ratio Formula (Part 2)
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:43:41 -0800
Joe:

If you leave out per-min or per-hr, what we are trying to determine is
ENGINE REVOLUTIONS-per-distance which is determined by gear train and
drive wheel "effective" tire radius (which is influenced by the
footprint). Notwithstanding tire slip and all the other losses.

Take two circles. One is a 15" radius (94.24" circumference) and rotate
it 45 deg. A spot on the circumference will rotate 11.78".  Now push on
the perfect circle so that SAME CENTER POINT is only 10" above the
flattened "circumference". Now rotate the same 45 deg. A spot on the
flat patch will only have traveled 10".  10" X Tan of 45 = 10".  Yep,
the distance traveled is LESS but the rotation AND circumference has
remained exactly the SAME! Admittedly, we are talking about small
effects here but circumference is not the determining factor.  Many
thanks for your thoughts.  -Elon