Burt Monro

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Burt Monro
From: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:40:20 -0400
I remember reading about Burt in Drag News when he came to Bonneville , seems
to me in the middle 60s - He came on a minimum budget - He bought a 53
Chrysler with some bearing problems that he corrected himself - "I scraped the
bearings with me penknife" - He machined his pistons from castings he made by
poking a hole in the ground with a stick and poured in some aluminum he melted
in a pot - He machined his cylinders from cast iron sewer pipe and forged his
connecting rods from a bulldozer axle - If I remember he said at the time he
had raced it continuously since 1925 and blown up the motor 150 times - Guys
like Burt stick in your mind .