Re: flathead trans. adapter

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>, Sparky <wmtsmith@landracing.com>,
Subject: Re: flathead trans. adapter
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
I think he's referring to the jeep heavy pickup truck transmission of late
60s-early70s.  The same version of the transmission (without tailshaft) was
used in the Military M-715 5/4 ton truck (4X4 militarized version of the same
truck).  It was a four speed version, and you can use the military tip
ball-socket shifter on civilian top loader four speeds. I'm not sure there were
any 2WD versions of that civilian truck, so you'd need only the shifter, and
use it on a regular 4-spd top loader.  Those parts are still available through
milititary vehicle collectors sites on the net.

Dick J
In East Texas

Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com> wrote:
I believe that would be the 3 speed top loader. With a 4 speed you would
need a separate shifter for reverse. Of course Bonneville cars don't need
reverse. RF