LSR Brakes - 3rd. try, part 2

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: LSR Brakes - 3rd. try, part 2
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:37:09 -0400
4) Disc Brake Drag - If everything is correct disc brakes don't drag. A square
seal is used on the piston, so that when you take pressure off the piston the
seal pulls the piston back .001 to .002 which is all you need. Have set
several records over the past fifteen years and disc brakes have never
hindered my speeds.

5) Rear Brakes Only - Applying rear brakes helps keep the car in a straight
line, much like the rudder helps a plane fly in straight line. Only problem
with this system is you have lost 75% of your braking. Not acceptable for
speedy cars at Maxton. Probably impossible for any vehicle at Texas. Now if
you go too far at El-Mirage or Bonneville you're in big trouble too. Just
don't see why anyone would still build a car like this.

6) Front Brakes Only - Hate to admit that I've done this. (Stopped from 240
MPH, broken rotor on the rear, 'chute didn't deploy.long story). However it
does work, but you need to be very careful here too. It's not inherently
stable, although my car was OK, and will overwork the front brakes quickly,
unless they are greatly over sized.