Re: BRAKES

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BRAKES
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:22:27 -0700 (PDT)
"I've always heard that you should proportion the
brakes so that the fronts lock up first...Is this only
for road racing?"

Matt, that would be good advice for street cars as
well. On a wet or slippery surface, having too much
front break could cause the front tires to loose
traction with corresponding loss of steering input.
Biasing break force to the rear will allow steering to
take place under breaking. Common sense has to be
applied in that you cannot be steering into a corner
while breaking (trail breaking) or the rear will come
around on you. Driving line, style and technique is
quite different for a road racer on a wet surface. The
road race would also raise ride height, soften
springs, remove or disconnect sway bars and add as
much down force as is possible. I apply much of that
road racing experience to Bonneville because we run on
what can be considered a wet surface.

John Goodman