Re: Shaving tires

To: "Sparky" <wmtsmith@landracing.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shaving tires
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 20:19:24 -0500
They use machines like that in truck tire shops. I've had my big truck tires
trued that way but it leaves the tread with a kind of texture almost like a
drag slick thats been ran.  Might do that if you have lot of rubber to take
off, then grind to smooth. When I crewed with Al, he used to have his Indy
tires ground. but that was when it was a lakester. When he turned it into a
liner he had to have real tires.

Ron Gibson, Omaha NE

> The Shavers that I have seen work:
>
> The machiene rotates the tire much like a very slow tire balancer and
there is another motor driving the cutter which is a sharp rotating disc on
its own motor it feeds much like a fishing reel--back and forth across the
tire.