Re: Weight distribution?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weight distribution?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:32:39 -0500
This whole conversation is interesting... but what I learned last year is
that each car is different...and has it's own desires... some cars like
weight on the rear... some like it on the front...

Dave's right on the point that Ground speed equates to air speed over the
car and any body going through the air is defined as an airfoil.... some
produce lift and some don't... some even produce downforce... ( geez the
nerve of them body's )

The goal is to have a car that's relatively neutral or free of drag or
unwanted downforce... and again... Dave's right.. to know that you have to
measure it... or guess and make ASSumptions....

The key here is Unwanted downforce as some might be desirable in your
situation.... like with the Berkeley... it's a light car... we might want
more or less downforce as we go down course and the air travels ever faster
over the car.

Starting points in my mind have to be what's generally accepted as
reasonable ballast for a given class of car...

Stock car body's  seem to favor even weight.... longer cars seem to like
more on the rear... mine is at 66% on the back wheels.... ( I started
putting it in the trailer backwards as result too )