Re: Some pics from the Sunbeam Internatioanl get together.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Some pics from the Sunbeam Internatioanl get together.
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:45:15 -0700
I currently have a Tiger, since 1967, and have been fairly fond of the
SUnbeam marque. However, the old tiger model wasn't the one which did the
record runs. That was a 1927 version which is now in a meseum in France. It
was driven by Sir Henry Segrave (note no "a" in Segrave), and was the very
first car toachieve a fully recognised record over 200 mph. Here are some of
the salient features of that car: about 19000 pounds, about 19 feet long,
chain drive, wire wheels, dunlop tires, two Matrabelle aircraft engines of
12 cylinders each, total engine displacement was 44,000 cc,  three speed
transmission, driver sat between the two engines. Record was set on the sand
at Daytona Beach.

It is this latter car that has me building the worlds fastest Sunbeam, ie
one that can go faster than the big red car at 203.792 mph. I may not make
it, but I will try probably next year. I have an Alpine that is being