Re: Bonneville Rear Engine Roadsters

To: <richk@mercurylink.net>
Subject: Re: Bonneville Rear Engine Roadsters
From: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:24:58 -0700
Yes there is however, historically, when the lakester class was first run
(it was called "Streamliner" then) it was for roadsters that had been
narrowed or otherwise modified so much that they could no longer be called
roadsters. Later when fully enclosed bodies came along the streamliner class
and open wheeled Lakester classes came into being. Much later (in the '80s
as I remember) Don Ferguson and son of the same name came out to El Mirage
with their GMC powered Modified Roadster with a wing on it. Thing went 200.
Rules guys said "No wings in Modified Roadster" (I know, now lots of
modifieds have wings) So Don said " If it's not a roadster it must be a
lakester" At the time there was no rule against it. Of course the lakester
guys let up a howl because they didn't want faster roadsters taking their
records. Never mind that lakesters are supposed to be faster.
So it came to pass that Don's record stood as a Lakester, but in the future
lakesters had to be specially construction. No modified automotive bodies.
Everybody was happy.
Now I ask you, do you think Harry's body really is a model T? Neither do I.
It's a specialty constructed body for landspeed racing. It happens to have
lines resembling a model T but it's not got one Ford part on it. So why
isn't it a legal lakester?               Rich Fox