Speedweek

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedweek
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:22:00 -0700
List,

I got to meet John Burk for the first time and also saw several others
from the network while running to and fro on the Salt. It was a great
week on the Salt for everyone I came in contact with. In my opinion, the
best course ever would be an honest statement. We certainly had no
issues with handling or traction. The starting line was a mass of black
tire marks for quit a distance. Mother Nature swept the course each
evening with strong winds, so no loose stuff to contend with.

We didn't raise records by great numbers, but the records we run against
are at respectable levels already. We came to the Salt with a 241.022
record that I set at the Finals last year. This year we went back on
alcohol for fuel. I ran over the record right off the trailer on my
check out run at 243.378, then my grandson Tim ran 240.958 on his first
run (his top speed previously was a 207 licensing run at the Finals
'03). His next pass was 241.002, just short of the record, then a
219.778 seven cylinder run (#3 plug was broken) and finally 245.521
which qualified in strong fashion. Next morning he ran 240.824 for an
average of 243.172.

Our goal for the week being accomplished, I gave everyone a chance to
take a ride. My brother Gary went first qualifying at 243.482, but
declining to run for record. Barry went next qualifying again at 243.801
and on to impound. Next morning he ran 243.202 for an average of 243.501.

We had been making changes on almost every run trying to get the EGT
numbers that seemed right. I made one last change and Dan drove the car
to 238.629. This was not what I was looking for, but he did run into a
head wind, so the tuneup test was not conclusive. I still think we have
left some on the table. Next meet will tell. All in all, if the car
never exceeds its present performance, I have no gripe...this car,
running D/GCC & D/FCC, has set eight records @ Bonneville, five @ El
Mirage and two @ Muroc since 1993. You can go to www.bryantauto.com for
  "the rest of the story".

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC