Disputed Record

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Disputed Record
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:57:18 -0700
Keith,

Just a note about your record predicament. As I said at the salt, there
is blame on both sides of the issue. You didn't change numbers when you
changed classes, an unwritten rule it seems. There isn't a problem of
changing classes from one meet to another and using the same number, but
when you run multiple classes at the same meet, there is no way for the
timing stand to know which class is being run so all runs with a
particular number gets listed together. If you check Thursday's results
you will see the car listed a GMS on the run that qualified. (I imagine
that you were still running gasoline, a sealed tank would have made you
legal for the GMS record.) A problem in your court!

On the other side of the equation, I don't understand why the error was
not caught when you registered in the second class. A second chance for
it to be caught was in impound. In the association's court.

If I were the authority, I probably would have allowed the record since
the error was a paperwork error and not a case where the error was a
benefit to the times turned in. Having said that, I have to also say, I
don't know what the ramifications of allowing the record would be down
the road.

I don't think that you should be pushed out of shape on this, however,
and have ill feelings toward anyone in authority. You are not
blamless...actually you have a first! In forty plus years of competing
at the Lakes and Bonnevillde, I have not seen this to be an issue
before. It likely will be spelled out in the rules in the future.

Keep Cool...Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC