Re: Speed Week '04

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speed Week '04
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:08:00 -0400
On Sunday, August 22, 2004, at 05:52 PM, Tom Neimeyer wrote:
> Com'on folks tell us all about it.
>
> Also who is going to the Bub meet in September?
>
> We are getting ready for the Texas Mile in October.
> Anybody else going to be there?

Nancy and I are back home -- for a couple of days.  We got home about
3PM yesterday, exactly three weeks and about 7,000 miles after we left.
  And we leave next Wednesday morning to do it all over again --
Marquette/Charlotte (to get the bikes)/Bub's, then fly home for a week
and fly back for WoS.  Then drive home, then maybe drive to Goliad,
then maybe to WF, then probably for sure to Maxton for Halloween.

We put close to 700 miles on the truck during our ten days at the Salt
-- wouldn't think the Salt Flats Cafe was so far from the Wendover KoA,
would you?

Nancy put 97 mph on the record in M/PS/BG 250 (the pleasures of running
on an open record).  Would've gone 112 or so on both runs, but it seems
the turbo worked loose from the exhaust pipe -- and, for some reason, a
3/4" gap in the pipe meant the dang turbo just wouldn't make any boost
during the return run.  A moment to remember was seeing Dale Martin's
look after he calculated the displacement on the 250 -- He asked if we
had done a cleanup bore on the motor.  It came out at 249.4cc...

My bike had some steering issues (the bike wouldn't go straight with
the rear axle misaligned -- you shoulda seen me hanging off the right
side of the bike at a buck-eighty-five, trying to keep it on the
course).  Then the new progressive nitrous controller taught me to read
the instructions more carefully.  Then the head gasket went away.  By
the time everything was all set up right it was Thursday, so I took off
the bodywork and made it to impound, and Friday got it all together
even better and ended up putting 5 1/2 mph on my "naked bike" record
from last year.

Salt Talks was fine, even with the gentle 40-mph breeze blowing for a
couple of hours.  We sold out of t-shirts -- if anybody really really
wants one we might order some more.  Drop me a note to tell me what
size and how many and we'll see if there's enough interest for a
re-order.  Many thank-yous to all that helped make it a success.

Thanks to all that helped us, thanks to all that visited, even thanks
to all that suggested I change names 'cause I sure am seen 'way more
than "Seldom".

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan