Suspension, Etc.

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: Suspension, Etc.
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 23:32:44 -0500
Some other interesting things we learned...

We have twice the springs in the front end then we had before but the front
is still crushing down past a point that's acceptable.

The front tires are actually contacting the inner fender wells at speed due
to the downforce, hence we are raising the nose a bit and increasing the
spring rate even more then we had previously.

At around 200mph at Maxton this wasn't an issue even with the track
conditions... but as the speed gets up past 250mph things are getting way to
close.

Ron and I discussed the nose touching the ground and he swore it just never
happened.... even thou I'd witnessed scratches in the paint on the bottom of
the nose...  originally I'd suspected that the parachute was causing the
tail to rise and then the nose had the opportunity to touch....  even thou
it looked impossible... the reality is just that.... when you pull the chute
the tail comes up and the nose which is compressed anyway becomes more
compressed and the nose at the very leading edge just touchs the ground.

1/2- 3/4 of an inch of adjustment in the coil overs is going to fix this
issue along with an inceased front spring rate...

Dave talked about upsetting the car during shifts and his point is very well
made.... the only thing I can add is that I noticed the same thing with the
Camaro when we data logged the air bags.... the faster the shift the less
the chassis has a chance to react to the associated forces and the better
the car feels going down the course.

I guess my point of letting you guys know this stuff is that without the
data... like Ron I'd still be guessing...