RE: Shock and vibrations-Bumps, Suspension-Etc.

To: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Shock and vibrations-Bumps, Suspension-Etc.
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:56:25 -0400
I never questioned if you could make one flex. I do believe that you can
build one that does not flex by any appeciable amout for the loads imposed
during normal operation of a race vehicle though. If you can't do the simple
calcs to determine what they might be then you should buy a chassis and not
build one. Chassis rigidity is not the place for clever trial and error.
There is way too much data out there on how to build one that does not flex
and how to test it as well. With that info and a calculator you ought to
know what will happen before you drive the car or bike. There is very little
'zen' in mechanical engineering.
Dave