Photo op on 10/6/04

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Photo op on 10/6/04
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:40:54 -0600
Just before sunset last night there was a photo-op on the salt ...

Picture this, all lined up for a photo shoot;
The Jim Travis Liner ... some discussion out there on previous names.
The Redhead
The Mickey Thompson Challenger
The Dr. Nathan Ostich Flying Caduceus

...and in the background a 1962 look alike tower for the photographers and a
replica 1962 outhouse.  The movie will be called "The World's Fastest
Indian" and is the story of Burt Munro.

FUN STUFF!

If you want to email me with a request for a photo I'll try to respond to
everyone.

I didn't see Anthony Hopkins, but I did get to see Tom Bryant.  Given a
choice I'd rather see Tom.  Ron and Gail Tesinski were there and we had a
nice visit.  The gang from Montana with the "Stay in School" roadster, Kenny
Kloth with his fast 49 Merc as well as a a couple of other current salt
cars.  They had done a nice job of re-creating the 1962 pits as well as the
big billboard that used to mark the entrance off the highway to the salt.

Ron Christensen was busy putting "roll bars" of plastic tubing in place on
some of the cars.  I think Vern Tardell with eleven was the one with the
greatest number of cars, followed closely in volume by Jim Lattin.  Other
than that I'm guessing Jeff Decker with two beautiful bikes and a 32 coupe
was close to being next in line.

When they started getting concerned about authenticity of people and
vehicles in the background I left, stopped at the Salt Flats Grille for a
warm breakfast and came home.  The cold stuff they were feeding to other
than "crew" personnel for breakfast was vile, even if it WAS free.

The salt is dry (other than the puddle at the end of the access road left by
the idiot who was washing off cars) seemed to be in good condition and the
movie makers were on the mountain side of the course.  They're due out of
there on Wednesday so there will be a two day overlap with the start of pit
set up and inspection and the first day of running of World Finals.  I think
they are getting their long shots now so hopefully that won't be a problem
for either group next week.

Wes