RE: Crank Balancing ( Math )

To: "Rick Yacoucci" <turborick@TurboRick.com>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Crank Balancing ( Math )
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:16:42 -0500
Rick;

It isn't possible to balance a 4-cylinder engine completely, no matter
what you do. All you can do is minimize the vibration.

On the other hand, an in-line 6 cylinder engine or a V-12 can be
balanced but a V-6 or V-8 can't be completely balanced. There are
"rocking couples" that cause vibration in engines that do not have
symmetry.

Now--- someone explain to me the rationale behind a 10- cylinder engine.
??????

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ