RE: Babs scans

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: RE: Babs scans
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (Pork Pie)
Date: 10 Nov 2004 17:42 GMT
"Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com> schrieb:
> Aron;
>
> A while back we had a discussion thread on "Babs". I wonder if the
> restoration was ever finished?
>
> Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ

For Sure, the restoration was finished in April 1988, since this the car is
sometimes in the museum in Pendine - Wales, the place where Parry Thomas fatal
accident happened. Also the car is at home - by Owen Wynns Owen - in Capel
Curig - who dug Babs out of the sand and restore them in nearly 18 years hard
work. Owen is sometimes driving Babs on streets around his place in Wales,
which would be a lot of fun for the neighbours.......During historical events
around England the car is also present and runs than under Owen and some
friends.

I was end of March 88 on Owens place, two weeks before the car was the first
time shown in public after he was found.

The chain drive alone is not a nightmare - it's more the sitting position, if
you can talk from a sitting position. It's a wooden straight floor where you
sit with your backside (ass for the Alabama slang) on, your back is 90 degrees
straight up against a leather polster, your legs has to go horizontal forward,
no change to bend the knees. The reason for is not only the flat floor, between
the huge steel steering wheel and the wooden floor is only a 5 inch gap,
somewhere there between you have to press your upper legs. The pedals are
nearly 90 degrees upright. There is no soft seat under your backside. Parry
runs without a proper suspension around 180 mph on the bumpy sand of the
Pendine beach....and we are talking about not smooth salt at Bonneville....

I had a hard time to get in the car and to "sit" properly. This sitting
experience was strange enough. In front of you are the only 2 inch long exhaust
pipes which kill your ear drums and smoke you to death....This feeling had to
be so as if you sitting on the open rear axle of Big Al (Teague) famous
76.....that's fun....

See ya

Pork Pie