Subject: Re: First car?

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Subject: Re: First car?
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:16:12 EST
As I lived in The Bronx, one didn't necessarily need to  own/license/register
a car to drive it. We'd get a thing what ran from the  junkyard and stay
mostly in your neighborhood when you knew the cops, which were  mostly your
buddies' fathers.
I started with a 48 Nash which needed frequently refillings with cooling
liquids of whatever was available, until I found the water, etc was in the
block, causing it's demise.
I had a succession of Ford Station Wagons, mostly for the same reasons Vans
became popular later, and NOT camping. I went through a 49 Fastback 6 cyl
Olds that was my first and only regularly successful Drag car, and a 50 V-8
Olds, and "Black Tooth," a 55 Olds Fiesta w/ block bored to 4 x 4 and 400 in.,
primed black ...fun car!
Other highlights included a '40 Austin Altered-to-be that the Draft
separated me from, a '63 Tempest 4cyl, 4speed, 4 Bbl, weird transaxle that ate
Universals, a '70 Datsun Pick up that rode harder than hell, a '90 Sterling,
and
currently a 2000 Honda Insight being converted to G/BGT for next year.
The Ironic part of my story is my wife bought one car new in her life,  a
1967 Firebird that we still have, a testament to how important it is to marry
somebody practical ?
Bob. W
Oh yeah, I missed a cherry 54 XK140 Jag for $1500 in the Army in Germany in
1966, as I'd invested my money in public relations  downtown