Re: Second Thoughts on First Car

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Second Thoughts on First Car
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:26:30 -0700
mayf,

For me it was a '65 Barracuda Formula S.  Traded the Healey in on that one.
Drove it for 130,000 plus miles and sold it in '71 when my wife swore it
hated her.  It stopped a couple of times at lights on her and wouldn't fire
again until I turned the key.  She had bought the first '70 (mid year
release) Camaro in Utah, four months before we got married.  I think she
just didn't want to be seen driving a Chrysler product since her dad was a
Chevrolet dealer.

>From the factory that car was a hodge podge of interesting parts.  The
distributor was a dual point unit out of the Chrysler performance parts bin.
The little automatic was strong enough that it was used in dragsters in the
late 60's.  It had a big 4 barrel Holley that wasn't really happy until you
got up to speed but was a joy to hit the throttle at higher speeds, even
with the little V-8 in the car.  It had disc brakes on the front and front
suspension parts that were not available from Plymouth when I wanted to
replace them.  I was living with a cousin and another college friend, all
from the Provo area.  We made about eight trips a year between West
Hollywood, Hollywood and the Wilshire District and Provo in comfort with
that car.  A couple of chaise lounge pads in the back with the seat folded
allowed two to sleep while one drove.  before I-15 was finished that was
still only a 9 1/2 - 10 hour drive for the 680 miles.  Today the cut through
the Arizona Strip (rather than the two lane, twisty road through the Santa
Clara Indian reservation West of St. George) would cut an hour off that
time.

Wes