Re: first,second,third....Cars

To: "Phillip Landry" <saltracer@hotmail.com>, land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: first,second,third....Cars
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:30:11 -0500
On Tuesday, November 30, 2004, at 08:12 PM, Phillip Landry wrote:

> , '47 Pontiac coupe (chopped top),

Really - was it a two-door -- you know, the fast-back?  My cousin's
first was one, that he got through my dad from (dead) Aunt Esther.  The
Pontiac was the first car I worked on -- had a straight-eight motor
about THISSSS LLLONG, and I remember distinctly my dad's reaction after
cousin Bill and I had torn it apart to put rings and such in it.  Dad
walked into the garage, and saw two mid-teen boys, and pistons here,
head over there, crankshaft on this bench, parts all over the darn
place.  (Note - we lived not too far from Chicago)

He said:  "Boys, if the two of you, without help from anyone else, ever
get this thing back together and running, I'll personally walk the
corner of State and Madison selling tickets for the second coming of
Christ at Soldier's Field!"

Darn it, although we did run it after that for a few years, the summer
ended, I went back to high school out of the area, and my cousin had a
buddy help finish the rebuild.  Dad never did have to try to sell those
  tickets.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan