Re: Mobile1 vs Castrol

To: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Mobile1 vs Castrol
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:04:31 -0800
My pleasure Doug.

When I'm asked if Real PAO synthetic is better than petroleum oil, I reply,
"That question was answered about 30 years ago. The real question should
be, 'Is it worth the extra money for my application?'  " For most stock,
street
driven 4+ wheelers the answer is no. It tolerates temperatures that will
destroy
regular oil and a non PAO syntec will suffer significant high temp
breakdown.
I'm talking about 350-400 degrees.
In my opinion this is important information
I have seen the difference between Real PAO synthetic and good petroleum oil
when starting a Ford Duromax at 25 degrees. 60 psi oil pressure in 10-12
seconds
with PAO vs 25-30 with petroleum oil.
Q -- Is this actually important?
A --  I have no idea.

I almost forgot, PAO shears down much, much more slowly in a MC gearbox.
When 20W-50 is down to 20W-30, the PAO will be 20W-45

If you want to run what the NASCAR boys use, Mobil1 Racing 0W-30 is now
available for $10.95!

I use mobil1 5W-30 in my 2001 Honda van because I want to. I use Walmart
Super Tech 5W-30 in the '99 Ranger & 20W-50 in the '71 F250. My Honda
Rancher ATV gets Mobil1 10-W-40 MX4T Motorcycle oil and my
Generac Standby Generator gets Mobil1 0W-40.
All of the oil that comes out of the above, including ATF gets tested by
Blackstone labs.
The reason for all of the above: It's one of my hobbies. Some folks
collect stamps,
I collect oil information.
I have not seen a "bad" automotive oil in the last 15 years.

Bryan