Re: 1928-29 Ford Roadster bodies in LSR

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1928-29 Ford Roadster bodies in LSR
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:18:03 -0800
Glen,
You said " I guess I got a little off subject".
I think it is a good thing to do. After all, "Saving Your Life" is a subject
of interest to everyone I know.
Your description of how chute behavior can be very different, depending
on the car, reminded me of a conversation I had with Bob Stroud. He
supplied the chutes for the Vesco car and while working on the system
he decided to add 20 feet to the tow line. Bad, bad idea. The chute which
had been wiggling a bit went in a large circle and jerked the car left
and right. The change was from 80 to 100 as I remember.

You know that they can design and build planes without any wind tunnel
testing. That doesn't work with parachutes. Any new design or design
change is always wind tunnel tested by the aviation parachute companys,
even freight parachutes.

Thanks Glen,
Bryan