Re: Parachute Noise

To: John Burk <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Parachute Noise
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:10:04 -0800
I suspect that most everyone that uses a chute pulls it at the 5 mile.
It does take a while for the sound to travel, and a car traveling in the
excess of 200 mph covers a lot of ground while the chute is becoming
full blown.

I remember working the nine mile during record runs in the past. We had
telephone communications between the starting line, timing tower, the 3,
the 5, the 7 1/2, and the 9 mile posts. When a car would clear the five,
the one on that post would announce that the car was shut off and
coasting. I could still hear the engine loud and clear for about another
20 seconds. After the noise subsided, then I could hear the tires
crunching the salt as it approached. It was eerie.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC