The Metisse & Coal

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The Metisse & Coal
From: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:02:29 -0500
Dave and list

Reference the picture of the Metisse.

The British Coal sponsorship was for the safety items on the car - Chutes,
belt, helmet, etc - because they did want me back in work in one piece.  I
was in the marketing department and therefore sold coal to commercial and
industrial companies.  The latter mostly raised steam, hence my choice of
propulsion.

As things turned out it probably would have been better to have used coal -
lighting a big fire directly under the pressure vessel - because the
supplier of the oil fired mobile steam generator (1000 psig capability) was
forced to pull out of the programme.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.