SCTA/BNI & World Records

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SCTA/BNI & World Records
From: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:44:23 -0500
List

Answering a few comments form the last 24 hours.

The FIA list shows that inspite of streamliners being the fastest class the
International records are held by a variety of vehicles from a range of
classes - so many competitirs do not think it restrictive.  The FIA have
only categorised vehicles by engine capacity and power unit type and blown
and unblown (where appropriate) - they do not account for the body types as
the SCTA/BNI and I have agreed with John and Keith in the past that this is
a problem between the two rule makers.

The time for a return run for a 'one hour two way' is the same more or less
as the time for any vehicle once the course is clear.  7 miles at an
average of just say 120 mph (2 miles per minute) means only 3.5 minutes of
'hold up' if correctly managed.  And yes .......  the UK has run motorcycle
and car events to FIA/FIM rules with multiple entries at Elvington
Airfield.

The quotes in Louise's paper, which may now have been supreseeded by the
Board decision (see landracing.com messages), was that SCTA/BNI would take
over from the FIA - to do that you have to look at venues outside the USA
or even away from Bonneville.

Just to remind the list, it has been customary and necessary for each UK
land speed record participant to organise a solo event for themselves, we
have 'lost' the multiple entry event since the mid 90's.  We do have a
records week on water though!

Totally agree that SCTA/BNI deals with the most record runs in any year
because of the number of Bonneville and El Mirage entrants.  Also that the
rulebook is used at other tracks - but I doubt that you will see the
SCTA/BNI World Record speeds set on the dirt or concrete for/by US racers
........ hey KT/Tonya/Dave prove me wrong with the Berkely at Goliad this
year!

I understand exactly Glen how the SCCA (for ACCUS/FIA) put in someone to
look over the proceedings ........... all I was asking was - will the
SCTA/BNI taking on a 'World Authority' role as suggested by LAN, put
forward someone to look at proceedings in South Africa, Australia, Britain
(perhaps), Tunisia or indeed a highway just down the road from Wendover?
Because I know that there are teams who do not choose Bonneville as their
1st in the list.

In the same way that the Burklands run did not make the headlines I feel
sure that, unless Louise sent Burdette a copy, the 'Fuel for Thought'
article will not register with ACCUS or the FIA or most people in Europe
(other than me?).  Which is a shame as the subject needs to be dealt with.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England