Re: Rulebook 1.H. What's the SCTA airpump?

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rulebook 1.H. What's the SCTA airpump?
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:56:28 EST
In a message dated 1/31/2005 1:07:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
market@gammasports.com writes:

> I'm going to be within the engine class
> requirements, but I'd rather avoid pulling the heads if I can (DOHC).  What
> is the air pump or other tools that are used to measure displacement?  Do
> you have any suggestions to make the measuring easier for the judges?

Matt,
    The airpump is a simple but accurate device widely used in motorsports
racing to determine the displacement of any cylinder on an engine. To use it
the
valves must remain closed (remove the pushrods) while the engine is rotated
on the starter while the airpump, which is hooked to the sparkplug hole,
measures the volume of air being inhaled and exhaled by that particular
cylinder.
The airpump is nothing more than a transparent cylinder with a free-floating
ball that moves in conjunction with the volume of air that the cylinder is
pumping.
    Deactivating the valves on an OHC engine or a side-valve flathead motor
would be somewhat problematic.
    If the spark plug is located somewhat centered above the piston and
parallel to the plane of the cylinder (need not be exactly centered but it
helps)
there is a simple homemade device we use that SCTA has accepted in the past.
    To avoid being flamed or the idea debated endlessly please e-mail me away
from the list and I'll explain it to you.
                                        Ardun Doug King