RE: Rulebook 1.H. What's the SCTA air pump?

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Rulebook 1.H. What's the SCTA air pump?
From: "James Tone" <James.Tone@AES.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:39:09 -0800
The "pump" is the same used by NASCAR, NHRA, and other sanctioning
bodies.

The valves of the cylinder to be pumped must be made inoperative. If you
are using a push rod motor you remove them and we install a "spark plug"
type tool in the hole and turn the motor over pumping the air into a
cubic inch chamber. If you have an engine with a non-common spark plug
size you will need to supply the tool. We have all the normal sizes.

If you are using an overhead cam style motor you still need to make the
valves inoperative to use the pump. If that means removing the chain or
belt, that's what needs to be done. If the valves that remain open
during this operation hit the pistons I would not advise you doing this.

If you have an exact center spark plug we have tools to check your bore
and stroke. But it must be in the "CENTER".

If your spark plug is not in the center and you have made your own tools
to measure the bore and stroke I would advise you to bring them. (I've
seen and used a lot of ingenuity the this area but it worked) Trust is
nice but not a factor when your competitor is watching Dan or I measure
your motor. We have had to send some home without their records because
of this.

If you make tools we will need to be able measure them with our tools.
Dan and I normally use vernier calipers for this.

In the past ALL engines were to be torn down prior to leaving the salt
to set a record.

Rule 1.H states that any engine that cannot be measured using the
S.C.T.A.  air pump or special tools will require disassembly for
direct measurement of cubic inch displacement.  I'm going to be within
the engine class requirements, but I'd rather avoid pulling the heads
if I can (DOHC).  What is the air pump or other tools that are used to
measure displacement?  Do you have any suggestions to make the
measuring easier for the judges?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Ferrari