Re: Non LSR Tires Recommendations

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Non LSR Tires Recommendations
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:10:45 -0500
On Friday, February 4, 2005, at 04:07 PM, DrMayf wrote:

> I need to hear the collective wisdom of the list regarding tires for my
> truck. It is an F250 Super Cab with lots of hauling options. It has
> Firestone Steeltex R4S LT265/75 R16's on it now. These are the factory
> tires
> and have survived for nearly 69000 miles.
>
> What should I get as replacements? I have been know to drive against
> the
> stops (ie 90 mph) in this truck and nearly that fast towing.
>
> Hurry, one is going flat as we speak..
>
> Got a nail when I went over to Pulju's house yesterday...
>

> mayf

Well, here's some "Up-North" feedback:

The Steeltex 245's that came stock on my '02 half-ton 4x4 GMC were
dandy tires -- and I would have replaced them with another set of the
same if I hadn't traded in the truck.  I traded at 95,000 miles -- and
the dealer that took the truck found it hard to believe me that they
were the factory set -- there was so much good life left on them.  They
gave good traction in the snow, a good amount of which they saw up
here.  They didn't make lots of noise going down the highway, another
duty they saw.  I was disappointed when the '04 3x4-ton pickup didn't
wear Steeltex.  It's got Bridgestones, which, at 33,000 miles, show a
more wear than I'd like, and the traction - while decent -- doesn't
seem as dandy as the Firestones.

I've never had either truck over 70 or so, so can't attest to
high-speed noise, vibration, harshness, temperature rise.

When you're shopping for tires, remember that Wal-Mart can get you darn
near any brand, even if they don't stock 'em -- they'll order them for
you.  Decent pricing, too, and when you're traveling and need have a
tire problem -- hey, there's always a Wal-Mart somewhere nearby.

As for flats -- hey did you ever take a half-hour on a nice day and do
a tire change using factory tools and instructions?  Just practice --
it makes it lots easier when you're broke down under a highway overpass
and it's pouring rain and there's traffic zipping by -- and you've done
the job before and you know where the goofy factory jack plugs into the
hidden notch in the underbody...and you can put things away where they
were.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan