steering/suspension question

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering/suspension question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:43:13 -0800 (PST)
I've got a 1948 Ford axle and transverse spring under the front of my
Studebaker.  Steering is with an old fashion side box and drag link not unlike
what the Ford had.  When I move the steering wheel very slightly from side to
side, at first it feels like play because the front wheels don't move, but what
is happening is that the torque action from the pitman arm is trying to lift
the side of the front of the frame.  If I rock the steering wheel gently from
side to side, the front corners of the frame rock up and down.  Is this normal
with a buggy spring and drag link suspension, or have I messed something up?
There are no shocks installed yet.  Will a set of stiff shocks with coilover
springs (Harley Davidson rear shocks)  help steady the steering?

Dick J