English wheel

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: English wheel
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:10:55 -0800
C'mon guys, get serious about this--Do like me (I'm already halfway
there--sort of like "a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic).  After the
Loma Prieta earthquake we had to relevel my house. In the process we created a
16 x 32 basement workshop with a 8" thick concrete floor full of rebar.
Running down the center of this is an 8" wide flange I-beam supported by three
4x4x1/4 wall steel columns holding up that side of the house.  I figure the
10K lb live load on top of that (comprised primarily of my 50 year collection
of magazines) makes the whole thing deflect about 1/8".  This kind of setup
produces a "C" great frame to push against, either with a drilling head,
hydraulic cylinder or english wheel setup.  How about compound curves for that
special flywheel shield?
Ed Weldon