RE: Bellhousing safety.

To: "'R. Denton'" <foxriverkid@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Bellhousing safety.
From: "Mike Meierle" <mike.meierle@alcatel.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:15:20 -0800
>From what I'm Reading in the 2005 Rulebook, Section 3.H Says " all cars with
AUTOMATIC or PLANETARY type transmissions shall be equipped with a ballistic
transmission blanket or approved shield. It is RECCOMMENDED that the
transmission blanket/Shield meet SFI Spec. 4.1"

Now you said "The shielding on my GT car's clutch/bellhousing" Are you
running a manual Tranny with a Clutch?
If yes, bellhousing doesn't matter section 3.O applies(IMHO).It says "ALL
cars including rear engine cars with NON-AUTOMATIC transmissions shall be
equipped with a 360 degree 1/4 inch thick Steel Clutch Shield sufficiently
wide enough to shield the flywheel and clutch assembly" and a bunch of stuff
about the types of material, forming methods, corvairs and VW's.

So it's one or the other depending on the type of transmission. And this is
in addition to any bellhousing you may have installed.

That's the way it was read to me last year.

Mike M.