Re: Mc Cord seals

To: "Doug Odom" <dlodom@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: Mc Cord seals
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:16:09 -0500
While I can't help with a cross reference book for seals, I have a little to
share about aftermarket seals.  McCord, when I last did business with them
did not actually make radial lip seals, nor does Fel Pro or most gasket
makers.  They package a second tier seal that is the cheapest part so as to
be competitive with the "gasket rebuild kit" market.  Often the seal
material is silicon which the OEM's abandoned in 1984.  For us, seals from a
radial lip seal manufacturer, like Chicago Rawhide, (part of SKF) will give
us the best material with the proven oem design.  For LSR application I
would use only a Fluoro Elastomer (Viton) single lip, with a normal
production lip loading if not running a highly scavenged oil sump.
If you pull lots of vacuum on the sump, then a really heavy loaded lip would
be called for, or a PTFE (teflon) lay down lip seal very heavily loaded, but
also very low friction.  That way the vacuum won't pick up the lip.
The last word is actually the latest OEM seals are pretty much state of the
art, and are quite low warranty.  Most production warranty on radial lip
seals turns out to be a gasket or fitting somewhere above the seal.
Relative to seal manufacturers, I think CR is the only large supplier that
is not now owned by a gasket company.  Consolidation of the sealing industry
has been happening big time since I left the business in 97.

Cheers

Rick