RE: Copper Gaskets?

To: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>,
Subject: RE: Copper Gaskets?
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:18:08 -0600
John;

I bought a Ford Trans-Am block from Holman-Moody back when Ford decided
to drop out of racing. It had been machined with a square- cut groove
around each cylinder for copper O-rings. I wound up not using it so I
can't say much from that experience. I did, however use copper sealing
rings on high vacuum equipment so I can make a few general observations:
The surfaces should be FLAT and the clamping force needs to be high and
evenly applied. We used each copper gasket only once-- they work-harden
when compressed and don't seal as well the second time. No gasket
compound was used. I cleaned the rings with acetone or methanol.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ