Politics,etc. (Non LSR)

To: "Land Speed Digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Politics,etc. (Non LSR)
From: "Chris Pile" <hoxiepoo@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:37:44 -0500
    List -

    I'm just a lurker, not a racer - but I can tell you this. If you can't
keep our forum "on topic" another one (or even more) will spring up to replace
it. The trouble is - the replacements are never as informative or fun as the
first.
    I belong to the Studebaker Drivers Club, the largest single marque club in
the world (over 15,000 members). Up until recently there was only one
newsgroup to serve pretty much everything Studebaker. Then a few members went
"off topic" with religion, politics, social commentary and so on. People quit
posting and reading the Stude NG except for the arguers and gripers, and the
next thing you know it looks more like a blog than a newsgroup.
    Right now there are threads 100 deep bashing Boyd Coddington (by people
who don't know which end of a screwdriver is sharp) scattered among the porn
spammers, Terri-fighters, and the odd request for Stude parts numbers. I'm
just waiting for the whole thing to collapse of its own weight, and then we'll
get back to business.
    I read & post on the other Studebaker forums & newsgroups, too. But
they're not a bit like the original in its heyday.

    Just my 2 bits - Chris Pile aka aircap