NEW MEANING TO THE TERM "BIG BLOCK" ( Talk about a 'STROKER'

To: RACE427@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: NEW MEANING TO THE TERM "BIG BLOCK" ( Talk about a 'STROKER'
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:38:15 EDT
Hey Tony down on Long Island ...... I know you like to  play with Diesel
engines.
           Here's a  BIG ONE for you !   UNBELIEVABLE TORQUE AVAILABLE .......
but RPMs are rather low for racing purposes, and the weight seems  somewhat
excessive ( NO traction problems with this baby, however !  ) Rather pricey
unit, too !
       Better suited to a four wheeled  chassis, instead of a bike, I would
imagine ........
You might also have to buy motor oil by the drum to fill the crankcase
      I would just like to see the machine that  turned and balanced the
crank !!! )
  I hope you're still content with the Diesel in in  your tow rig after
reading this .......
         Bruce, up above ya on  the shoreline ...... Good rod shows here this
month
 and next ...... C'mon up and join us !

       The Wartsila NSD (Sulzer) RTA96-C  two-stroke diesel engine is the
most
powerful and most efficient piston prime-mover in the world  today.
Bore just under  3' 2" (965mm). Stroke - just over 8' 2" (2489mm).
Available in 6  through 12 cylinder versions (all inline). Engine weight
exceeds
>>> 2000 tons <<< in the 12 cylinder version (the  crankshaft alone exceeds
300  tons).
Point of maximum continuous power is  89,640 HP (66,844kW) at 100RPM
with the12 cylinder version.  Point  of  maximum fuel economy is 53,244 HP
(37,704kW)at 90 RPM.   The 12-cylinder engine exceeded 100,000 horsepower
during  overspeed testing(all of 101.5 RPM!) while under test at Japan's Diesel

Union works
(who built the first engines and from who these  pictures  are taken) ( PICS
LEFT OFF
AS LSR LIST DOESN'T CARRY SAME   )
Fuel consumption at maximum power is  0.278 lbs/HP/hour (BSFC). Fuel
consumption at maximum economy is 0.260 lbs/HP/hour.
At maximum economy  the Sulzer engine exceeds 50% thermal efficiency
i.e.more than 50% of the  fuel going into the engine is converted to power).
For comparison, consider that automotive and small aircraft  spark-ignition
engines have British Standard Fuel Consumption figures  in the 0.40-0.60
lbs/HP/hour
 range and 25-30% thermal  efficiency.
Even at its most  efficient power setting, the Sulzer 12 cylinder
consumes nearly 1,660  gallons of heavy fuel oil an hour.
( Hey Mayf ...... How Much Fuel would that be for one pass down the
dragstrip ??? )