Wednesday Daily Activity Report for the WFSWB

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Wednesday Daily Activity Report for the WFSWB
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:06:05 -0700
In case you are wondering the WFSWB is world's fastest Sunbeam wannabe.
Today was sort of a lay day in sailing terms. Yesterday I pretty much
farkled myself by spending the entire day in the hot. And my diabetes
caught up with me. So today I took it easy. If you remember, the car
started with some amount of difficulty and then ran fairly poorly after
that. Today I made giant strides in correcting that. I had puposely left
the IAC or ISC (idle air control) off the car because there was no room
to put it. Bad idea. So today I put it back on. I had a new gasket  for
it where it bolts to the side of the Throttle Body. I also had some
medium density fiber board...Hmmm. I cutout two pieces matching the
gasket and glued them together with good old Elmer's glue (carpenter's
glue, of course). I next drilled the mounting holes followed by the air
passages (just 2 straight holes about 9/16 to 5/8 inches in diameter).
It was a bit thick for my bolts to fit so I machined it down with a end
mill in my drill press. Slick. Bolted it on, turned the master cutoff
switch to on, switched the dash master to on, turned the instrument pnl
on, turned the ECU (computer) to on, hit the starter, turned the fuel
pump on and off it went!. Now idles around 900 rpm. I have a F303 cam
and it is a bit lumpy but not bad. I then found a wire that I had labled
but not checked out before. It was labled HEGO ground, so after shutting
everything down I pulled the main computer connector and toned the wire
out. Yup, HEGO ground wire. MAde it a bit longer and grounded it to the
frame. Now, my A/F meter works! And probably the computer is working
better also. Tomorrow I should get the computer I bought for tuning
(ebay), I already have the tweecer (tuning interface) and software, so
this will be a fast learning curve, I hope. I want to spend most of my
time in open loop operations (WOT) so I think I can set the TPS
breakpoint to go OL early. I found out how to modify my maf curve to
make it think it has a really big one on it. Now just need to find the
high and low slope values for the 42 pound/hr injectors and it should
mostly be ready to go. Drivability is no issue here. Start and go like
the wind.

More tomorrow!

mayf