RE: Dennis is history...

To: "kturk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dennis is history...
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:02:05 -0400
At home I have a little rule. If any tree grows tall enough to hit the house
it is gone. Old trees are not your friend during a hurricane. I had a 60 ft
maple cut that was 40 Ft from the house and about 30 over the top of it.
When it was cut down some of the branches half way up snapped when only cut
1/3 of the way through. They were about 1 ft in diameter and had a lot of
branches off them. After that 3 others were dropped bordering neighbors
houses.

40 mph winds thats barely small craft warnings actually an interesting time
to go sailing.LOL If you think driving a race car can get your pulse going
try sailing in a 56 mph breeze in late September about 15 miles offshore in
open ocean in a 31 ft boat.. When the spreaders near the top of a 60 mast
dip in the water it starts to get your attention pretty quick.. At that
point you are about 10 degrees from a complete knock down and it gets pretty
ugly from there. You find out pretty quick why a good sailor has either a
hatchet or a very sharp knife with them.
dave