Salt Flats weather

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Salt Flats weather
From: Ray Buck <rbuck@aros.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:03:00 -0600
I just got back home (Salt Lake City area) from the salt.  I had been
camping (well, sleeping in my "Ugly Truck") at the bend in the road and the
all-night rain kinda convinced me that there probably wouldn't be a lot
going on in the next little while.  I may return tomorrow.

As far as the weather goes, the rain was pretty much steady all night (at
least as much as I remember of it...I tried to get a little sleep in
between fireworks explosions from the other side of the canal.)  The clay
at the bend was really slippery this morning and the rain was falling
steadily.

I didn't go out to the salt, but rather went to the truck stop where many
racers were gathered, some at the Salt Flats Cafe, some just standing
outside under the roof's overhang, trying to stay out of the rain.

When I got back I checked the weather forecast for Wendover:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=slc&zone=utz003&county=utc045

and it looks like it's supposed to get clear and sunny again on
Wednesday....with the possibility of some showers early, followed by
clearing and mostly sunny conditions.  Temperatures are forecast in the mid
80s for the remainder of the week.

I have no idea how this will affect the course or if a new, smoother course
can be laid out when the rain stops and things dry out a bit.

My impression is that the mood of the meet has been dampened by John
Beckett's death, the course conditions and now the rain.  I hope things
will smooth out (literally) after the salt dries a bit.

Ray Buck
Taylorsville, Ut
http://www.chevyasylum.com