Re: Tire Growth

To: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Growth
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:00:31 -0400
On Sunday, October 2, 2005, at 10:13 PM, atrav wrote:

> With a low profile tubeless motorcycle tire, like a 50 series tire,
> how much will the diameter
> increase at say 100 mph? Could it be as much as a half inch on the
> radius?
>
> I'm having some clearance issues...
>
> -Aron-

I don't have an easy was to measure (bodywork and inner fender hides
the clearance-issue location) but the tire grows enough that a fastener
that is mounted through the inner fender on my bike -- cut a
circumferential groove in the tire.  We though clearance issues had
been considered thoroughly -- but nope!  Went to a smaller tire,
removed the fastener to a different location, changed from nut-and-bolt
to nylon tie-wrap, noted the need for further exploration in the "book
of things to do this winter".

Worse still -- the darn safety inspector caught the newly-inscribed
groove.  Why not let me run the tire?, I asked -- hardly any of the
(exposed) cord had been cut.  Take that as a good reason to carry a
spare tire or two in the trailer.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan