RE: Chassis Cushion?

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Chassis Cushion?
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:25:08 -0500
John;

The problem is fatigue failure caused by the vibration of a moving
trailer. A long wheelbase dragster chassis has a lot of flex (a beam in
bending supported at each end) so over time the points having the
greatest stress * cycles causes fatigue cracks to appear.

Frankly, I'd be very leery of a chassis design that was that fragile.
Not to say I wouldn't support it to minimize the flexing but I'd
definitely look at the design with an eye toward making it as fatigue-
resistant as possible (think light aircraft design) and I'd inspect it
carefully after every meet.

Drag racing is an intense but very short event so fatigue failures take
some time to show up unless they are put on a "shake table"-- aka a
towed trailer.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ