Aluminum Trailers

To: Land-speed@autox.team.net (Landspeed)
Subject: Aluminum Trailers
From: Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:02:28 +0000
KT, like yourself, I was enamored by the idea of building a neat little
aluminum car trailer. I was dissuaded from doing so by savvy fabricating guys
that I see daily in my business. I can make a long list of reasons thay cited.
In the end I made my deal out of 1/8" square/ rectangular steel tubing
(sealed). It's strong and light, and yeah, a big project in the end (and
probably not worth the effort). I'm not sure why commercial steel car trailers
use heavy angle and channel and produce an assembly that's so heavy, maybe
because it avoids stress issues at key points and the heat effects of welding.
My 2 cents...BJ in the Bean, where it's still raining after 8 days or so